Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Modern beach-themed bedroom with a color twist

Here are some pics of a re-design project I completed for my bedroom a couple of years ago. Of course, it has changed since then, but it has been one of my favorite designs. 

So, this is the before pic. 







Where I found my inspiration for the room...












Some random throw pillows that I found to be appropriate for my color scheme









I found this rug on sale at Pier One Imports. Quite a find!












Inspired by coral reef, I painted this wall art to hang above my bed. 












I purchased a single curtain from Pier One Imports. With it, I cut it and created a smaller cafe curtain for my window, a bed skirt and this wall art. I hot glued three squares of the fabric onto three small canvases. I then hot glued a pattern of twine onto the canvases to give it a cohesive look. This twine pattern was also repeated onto the dresser. 



Starting out with an inexpensive plain colored pillow purchased at Wal-Mart.






Adding some twine to the pillow gave it character and helped me connect various design pieces throughout the room.





This shelf was a central focus to display decorative items that added to the room's modern beach theme. 
More items were added later.
This antique dresser was about the get a major makeover.









Dresser is complete! I painted the drawers white and hot glued twine in a circular pattern to add a whimsical touch. The top of the dresser was painted with a variety of different turquoise-ish colors and sealed with a clear glossy protective coat. I replaced the bottom drawers - which were actually broken -  with lime green baskets for extra storage. I have also taken the baskets out and used the bottom space as a bookshelf. Don't ever throw furniture away if it has scratches, dents or is missing a drawer or two. Re-purpose it by adding baskets or fabric to cover up the space. 


The room is complete! I love the simple white blanket against the vibrant yellows, oranges, greens and turquoise blues. My modern beach room is finished. Oh...p.s. if you can't tell, I re-painted the room. I left most of the walls a sandy tan, but painted the wall against my bed turquoise. I also painted the plywood floors turquoise, as my budget did not allow me to add carpet or any type of additional flooring. I worked with what I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment