Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A few of my favorite things

Everyone has their favorite things. Weird or not, here are some of my favorites...things that make me happy or have some sort of significance to me. I know - they are just "things"...but they are my favorite things.
 
This is the absoutely wonderful wall clock my best friend got me for a birthday present. It is the perfect touch in my retro kitchen..

Another retro find.
 I love this neat little glass...um...what would you call this...a vase? Found it at Goodwill - for $3. I have cut roses very short and arranged them inside. I've also cut the head off of a sunflower and placed it inside. Very cute!
 I made this door hanging from red burlap. I found a similar one at a local gift shop for around $40. (Too much!) So, I figured I could make myself my version of one for a lot cheaper. I made this for around $7.00 (look for a future post on how to DIY this fab door hanger).
The cutest apron ever! And yes, I actually wear it. Wore it today actually...while cleaning...and listening to En Vogue's "Never Gonna Get It". (Hey...wearing it makes me feel sassy!)








 Found this last week at a local antique store for $5. You can't read it too well, but it's an old milk jar that reads "Please keep me healthy mom. Always buy my milk in glass bottles." How awesomely retro is that? I'm going to use it as a vase for some flowers as soon as I hit up a local flower shop...or my dad's flower garden (which is free!)
 My mom's old recipe tin. (It matches my red, green and turquoise retro kitchen wonderfully!) It has some of the best hand-written recipes inside. It's the best and most meaningful gift I've ever received from my mom.
Loving this little set-up. From the old pics to the whimsical birds, it just makes me smile. And I can't get enough of these cute bird candle holders. (Pier One). I'm thinking of creating some bird wall art...
 My salt and pepper shakers. Got them at Target - and they are magnetic!
 Another retro kitchen find at a local antique store. The little older lady said "Well, oh my...this is only $5. That is a good deal." And she was right.
Bought this in New Orleans. LOVE it. I have such appreciation and admiration for out-of-the-box artwork like this. The artist is a creative genius.
 This is an old gate that was left at my house. I added some light blue paint...and hung it on the wall as art. Almost everyone in my family wants this...I am selfishly keeping it (:
 This is my view out of my front door. Why, hello lake!
 I.love.quoteable.napkins. This one is my favs. It reads, "That's the look she gets just before she goes into 'full-on bitch' mode."
My vast collection of owl necklaces. My favorite is the peacock feather one. 
Another New Orleans Art find. Thanks to my BFF for the gift. 
Perfect find for my kitchen. P.S. That green is the color of my kitchen walls. Minty fresh. And very 50s retro...just what I was going for. 
 How absolutely cool is this? It's an old napkin holder. Another find for my kitchen. And I randomly found this while standing in line at Big Lots.
A very girly and shabby chic chandelier my sister got for me years ago. Now I finally had a place to hang it...and a dad to hang it for me. And if you are wondering what to do with all of those fake strands of pearls you got at Mardi Gras...well take notes. 
Do you ever have one of those things that is sorta ugly...but its ugliness is what makes it cool? That's how I feel about this vase. (Wow, I probably shouldn't have "feelings" about a vase.) So, that's what I think about this vase. My friend gave it to me and I love its 70s feel. I bet it once lived in a home with lots of shag carpet.







Hope you enjoyed this edition of a few of my favorite things. Stay tuned for my edition of a few of my not-so favorite things.

1 comment: